Clonakilty Town Twinning Association was established in March 1985 under the auspices of Clonakilty Urban District Council (now Clonakilty Town Council) to deal with all matters in relation to town twinning.
Mr. Jim O’Keefe and Mr. Michael Kenneally were the first Chairperson and Secretary respectively and Clonakilty twinned with Chateaulin, France in 1986. A number of schools and third level educational institutions exchanged in subsequent years.
In 1989 Clonakilty twinned with Waldaschaff in Bavaria, Germany. The twinning with Waldaschaff had its roots in the strong friendship between Clonakilty’s St. Patrick’s Brass Band and Musikverein Waldaschaff since 1982.
This year is the 21st Anniversary of probably the most successful twinning between any towns in Europe.
Chairpersons to date:
- March 1985 to January 1988 Jim O’Keefe
- January 1988 to February 1994 Danny Lordan
- Feb. 1994 to March 1997 Brawney Wycherley R.I.P.
- March 1997 to May, 1998 Danny Lordan
- May, 1998 to June , 2006 Jim Allis R.I.P
- June , 2006 to February, 2007 Michael O’Regan
- 2007 to 2008, Con O’Neill
- 2008 to 2010, Dell McCarthy
- 2011 to 2012, Cllr Michael O´ Regan
- 2012 to 2014, Michael Kenneally
- 2014 to 2017, Michael Kenneally & Pauline Lowney
- 2017 to 2019, Michael Kenneally
- 2019 to Date, JJ Walsh
Present Officers ; Vice Chairperson; Nan Dineen, Secretary; Jean Lowney, Treasurer; Claire Kennedy, PRO; Mary Peppard & Anne Marie Harte
- President (Präsident): Kevin O’Regan, Mayor of Clonakilty
- Chairperson (1.Vorsitzende): Dell McCarthy Vice-Chairperson (2.Vorsitzende): Mary Peppard
- Secretary (Schriftführer): Jo O’Neill
- Treasurer (Kassiererin): Marie Crowley
- PRO (Beauftragte für Öffentlichkeitsarbeit): Rose Hinchy
- Hon. Life President (Vorsitzender auf Lebenszeit): Donal Cullinane
- Committee Members: Anthony McDermott, Michael Kenneally, Nan Dineen, Anne Marie Harte, Chris Hinchy, Pauline Lowney, Eugene McCarthy, Con O’Neill, Michael O’Regan, Gerard Peppard, Áine O’Sullivan, Mary Fleming, Nora Kenneally, John Kirby, JJ Walsh, Sinead Ahern, Noreen Wycherley
- Organising Sub-Committee for visit of Waldaschaff Delegation 2010: Michael Kenneally, Ann Marie Harte, Chris Hinchy, Pauline Lowney, Eugene McCarthy, Con O’Neill, Mary Peppard